The Bronnbach Cistercian monastery was relocated to the water-rich valley of the Tauber in 1157. The abbot and founding convent came on a temporary basis from Waldsassen instead of the mother monastery of Maulbronn. The Bronnbach Cistercians mainly promoted viticulture in the region. Despite the manageable size of the area, typical elements of the cultural landscape are essentially represented. The monastery‘s town courts were located in Wertheim, Würzburg, Frankfurt, Aschaffenburg and Miltenberg.
In the Tauber valley near Wertheim lies the Cistercian monastery of Bronnbach, founded in 1153. The founding legend refers to a lark that flew up while searching for a suitable location and pointed to the site. The mother monastery was initially Maulbronn, and in further history Ebrach Monastery. Both monasteries are part of this application as an EKS site. In 1803, the Princely House of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg took over the entire site, including large parts of the agricultural land, as part of the monastery landscape. Since 1986, the monastery grounds have been the property of the Main-Tauber district. The district organises guided tours of the monastery. Bronnbach is one of the oldest and best-preserved monastery complexes of the Cistercian Order in southern Germany.
The Bronnbach monastery landscape is exceptionally well preserved. The structures of paths and forest boundaries, the visibility of the former farmyards, vineyards or moats show the creative power of the Cistercians in the cultivation of the Bronnbach monastery landscape.
Individual granges have been preserved. The sheep farm is used as an agricultural enterprise. The farmland characterises the monastery landscape with an almost unchanged routing, as it can be traced back to the use by the Cistercians. Other granges, evidence of popular piety or economic uses such as the remains of an oil mill are relics of the monastery landscape. Two carp ponds are still preserved. The vineyards still characterise the immediate surroundings today.